Wednesday, February 6, 2013

   One of my favorite artist is Bec Winnel. She truly inspires me to get deeper into my own artwork. Bec Winnel's use of colored pencils to create something so realistic is absolutely stunning. She was a graphic designer and a part time drawer for seven years. Today she is a full time art maker. On her website, www.becwinnil.com, she tells the world that she is a self taught artist and explains the meaning of her drawings.

This drawing called "Farewell" was created by Ms. Bec Winnel, using only colored pencils complimented by other mixed medias. I personally love this one because it shows so much emotion and an intense feeling. The details in the woman's eyes shows hurt and many words that rest upon them. 
   

   Bec has done two solo shows, many group shows, and has won five awards. Bec quoted on her website, "Art is my therapy." That statement fulfill me with a rage of excitement because I walk around telling everyone those exact same words. Art is my own personal therapist, and the same reason why Bec Winnel draws is same reason I draw. Our drawings always has meaning behind it, whether if it's just an emotion or something from the past.


   Not to be an envious person, but her work makes me want to cry and do even better than her. Bec is a role model, every inch and angle of the paper is so precise and eye catching. Colored pencils are hard to use when drawing a person because it's so hard to blend on paper and soften. Trying to make a drawing look like a taken photograph requires an excessive amount of talent, especially if one is using utensils that cannot be erased or fixed. Believe me, I've tried and that's why I appreciate her work so much. Another thing I enjoy, which is kind of her art signature, is her drawings of all females. Majority of her work are all women; some may be the same lady in the pictures, but each expression on each paper shows the true beauty of the face. "I choose to draw females because I experience life as one and can therefore connect intimately to my work. Their physical beauty symbolises the beauty and depth of emotions the human soul is capable of." (Winnel) 

   I will challenge myself, and I will experiment with colored pencils, which are very difficult to use when drawing, especially if it's a person. I want to experiment with all media's and use different techniques in drawing. If Bec can be a self taught artist, then so can I. 

2 comments:

  1. This blog is very interesting to me because I only know the artist that most people know like, Picasso and Leonardo da Vinci. I like how you introduce artist that are not known by most people. also, I think its great that you gave your opinion about what you like about her drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you highlight an artist in this post, and this post certainly complements the other post for the week in which you do a colored-pencil drawing. I wonder: it's hard to tell, so what mixed-media is used in that image from Winnel? Note that when writing academically, always refer to a source by the last name after first full usage.

    ReplyDelete