Thursday, February 7, 2013

   To start this off, I would like to say that colored pencils are difficult to use, as I once said before. Doing a little bit of research on using colored pencils in art and creating a realistic figure, I did a little experiment myself. Today I used a little bit of colored pencil in a drawing.



"Blow Your Smoke"

    Creating this drawing was extremely fun. I took me about 6 hours to draw. The beauty of it is extraordinary and filled with fun colors and patterns, like the triangles in her headband or the shapes in her earrings. Testing out the colored pencils was interesting, but getting it to not come out so hard is complicated. The shading in her glasses is a little too hard and can see the lines in the lens. That was the hardest part because making the lens purple and trying to bring out her green eyes is a complicated task. I think I did a pretty good job on her lips. Because the pink was such a light color, it was easier to use to make the different values in her lips and bring out the shine on them.

    Looking on the web and looking at more of Bec Winnel's portraits, I decided to Google "How to use colored pencils in art." The Virtual Instructor helped give me a few tips on how to use and not use colored pencils. Some of the few tips are:


  • Color Heavy
  • Layer your colors
  • Mix your colors
  • Outline Last
  • Take your time
  • Burnish
    Burnish is a new term to me, which means to polish something by rubbing. In art, this term means to take a white colored pencil or a colorless blender, smooth the colors and values out to make a consistent texture and solid finish. Burnishing helps make the drawing look more realistic by showing the lighting in the picture. You can see an example of burnish in her lips, noticed that I did not fully color her lips pink, but left a little white to show that it's glossy.

    What I learned most from these tips was to mix your colors, and to always mix your colors when using colored media. It said on the website that if your using colors, you don't want to just go for one solid color simply because is supposed to be the color. For example, if a person is drawing the sky, or the ocean, they would not just want to use only the blue colored pencil. This, to me, makes the art work look like an elementary art class drew it. It's too simple and broad. If drawing the sky, or ocean, you may want to use different shades of blue and probably a little bit of gray or green depending on its scenery. Learning about this made me think of using chalk, since that's one of my strongest point in drawing portraits. When I use chalk to make landscapes, I always make the sky different colors..only because chalk is way easier to blend. I also learned a lot from the burnishing method, where you take a white or light color to smooth out any lines to make a texture. I guess the white colored pencil/crayon isn't useless after all.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post, but I wonder if you should define some terms for non-artists who read the blog (like burnish)? How long did this drawing take you? Also, what kind of patterns did you create here? I really enjoyed the final paragraph when you go into an artistic discussion of how and why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your blog post and I really appreciate the picture. Personally, I would never have been able to draw this so I wanted to know a timeline or step by step process of your drawling. I thought something that could of helped your blog would be defining the vocabulary words you had pointed at in points from color heavy to burnish maybe by via hyperlink. With the hyperlink you can link us an example, definition, or video. I really liked your conclusion when you were analyzing pretty much what you thought of your own work and how to improve on it, I feel like you'll become much better knowing your strengths and weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you wrote this post. Rather than just talking about using colored pencils in art, actually using them, describing your process, and showing then your artwork is far more helpful. This post is definitely useful for someone with little to no experience using colored pencils. Demonstrating techniques you are describing makes the reader visualize what you are writing about. I would also love to see more of your artwork.

    ReplyDelete